This week on the podcast I give you 5 tips to help you declutter when you don’t live alone! Ready?
1. It isn’t you it is me… a lot of the time you are the problem – be honest – look at yourself and see if you are really holding yourself back – don’t automatically blame someone else.
2. Clean up your own space first… This is a no brainier- how can you expect your family to get organized if you yourself aren’t???
3. Get to the root of the problem -If you get stuck and feel like you can’t go on – now is a good time for some honesty – ask yourself – why are you holding on to it?
4. Respect the other people in your house – and their stuff- Respect that people let go of things at their own pace, and respect their stuff, don’t chuck other people’s stuff.
5. Set goals and assess needs together as a family – some questions you can ask to create goals:
- What will our house look and feel like when we are done?
- What do we draw the line at?
- What do we agree we must keep?
- How many of each type of object do we really need?
When you sit down together and figure out what is important to you it is a lot easier to declutter.
6. Show gratitude – for the hard work and progress that people did put it – acknowledge their struggles and remind them this is a marathon not a sprint –
Let me know how these tips work for you!
If you have a topic you would like me to discuss or a question you can email me at: [email protected] and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @balaganbegone Check me out on Pintrest as Rebekah Saltzman and join the FREE Facebook group – Organizing in Israel – Balagan Be Gone (you don’t have to live in Israel to join!) Subscribe to the mailing list at www.balaganbegone.com