World Mental Health Day
Seeing as October is National Emotional Wellness Month, and in honor of October 11th being World Mental Health Day, I wanted to speak about the difference between hoarding and clutter.
My hope is that if you feel like you fall into one of the categories of hoarding, that you find the strength and support to get the help you need.
DISCLAIMER: This is no way legal or medical advice, this is just my opinion based on my experience as a personal organizer.
Key Takeaways to Tune In For
- [02:02] What is hoarding?
- [02:38] The symptoms of hoarding.
- [04:44] there is a difference between a collector and a hoarder- it is important to think about the usefulness of the items you collect in regards to downsizing your collection. You can hear more about collectors here.
- [05:42] Highest level of a hoarder is a level 4, or code black- this is a diagnosed case of hoarding.
- [6:09] Mid-level, level 3, code red hoarders can make it in and out of their homes but they still have a significant amount of stuff they cannot let go of.
- [08:29] Level 2, code yellow hoarders is capable of putting items away, they just have too much stuff that they do not have a place for all their items to live and they try to find help but cannot maintain the helpful habits they are taught.
- [11:18] Level 1, code green hoarders have a few cluttered areas or secret stashes that they do not access regularly.
- [12:36] Many times, all levels of hoarders also struggle with time management.
- [13:25] Where to seek help for hoarding.
- [16:50] If your loved one needs assistance, get them the help that they need!
- [17:15] Key takeaway: Serious problems need to be dealt with by professionals.
- [17:40] Your life will improve when you don’t need to think, worry, or feel responsible for your stuff.
- [19:55] Make this the year that you get your house in order and make space to make your organizational dreams come true.
- [22:11] reducing the stuff that comes into your home is key to living your best life, and if you need help getting there book your one on one consultation today!
Book your one on one consultation here
If you need help getting started on your journey to organization, book a Done In A Day Declutter session to jumpstart your decluttering process.